As we noted in previous posts, Fiber is the secret to loosing weight without hunger! That sentiment was echoed by, Tanya Zuckerbot, RD and author of The F-Factor Diet. And a US Agriculture study sited that women who increased their fiber intake from 12 grams to 24 grams absorbed 90 fewer calories than women who ate the same foods, but with no fiber.
Fiber is the indigestible part of plants. Its found in your fruits and veggies, whole grains, legumes and beans. As of late, the Fiber craze is catching on, so you will find Fiber added to yogurts, pasta and other foods too.
Here are some easy ways to add fiber to your diet!
- Add a salad to your dinner. (Small one will do) Keep the peels and skins on your fruits & veggies. Thats where are the nutrients are!
- Swap out your white rice for brown.
- Toss chickpeas or kidney beans in your soups.
- Switch to a cereal with at least 5 grams of fiber per serving.
All Natural Snacks:
- 1 Cup Raspberries, 8 grams
- 1 Cup Edamame, 8 grams
- 1 Medium Avocado, 13 grams
- 1/2 Cup of popcorn, 4 grams
Grab & Go Snacks:
- 1 Gnu Walnut & Banana Fiber Bar, 12 grams
- Thomas's Light Multi gran English Muffin, 8 grams
-5 Reeses Sugar Free, mini peanut butter cups, 6 grams
- 1 pack of Hostess Coffee Cakes, 100 calorie pack, 5 grams
- 1 Lean Pocket, Whole Grain, Ham & Cheese, 4 grams
Remember to increase Fiber intake gradually to avoid gas and bloating!
For more help, check out "Snack Yourself Slim and "125 Best Package Foods"
Our nutritional expert, Dalana Myers, referenced the Mayo Clinic and Womens Health Magazine as sources for this post.