In our Weight a Minute Mondays series, we are exploring wellness, fitness and healthier lifestyles! In previous posts we have covered all the basics...what to eat, what not to eat and a few fitness tips. So to add some variety, we want to explore some alternative & non-traditional lifestyle options!
Lets talk veggies! Recently I've noticed more and more vegetarian & vegan options on restaurant menus and in the grocery store aisles, an increased presence of these same options. I wondered, why is the vegetarian lifestyle growing in popularity and what is a vegan, exactly. So, I asked a friend and did a little research and found that there are some unique benefits to The Veggie Life! Simply put, Vegetarians do not eat meat, but some do eat fish. Vegans omit ALL animal products from their diet. This includes dairy too. (So no milk, cheese, butter and etc.) Below are some of the benefits associated with limiting or omitting meat intake.
- Lowers your risk of lung & colorectal cancers (Vegetarian & Vegan diets typically are higher in fiber and fiber is suggested to prevent these types of cancers.)
- Prevention of Type 2 Diabetes (Fiber can aid in managing insulin efficiently.)
- Healthy Skin (High water intake and plant foods are rich in antioxidants and vitamins, this contribute to great skin.)
- Food has less chemicals (Meat products are exposed and treated with chemicals during processing & packaging, including preservative used to delay decomposition for mass distribution.)
- Hormone Free Eating (Hormones and toxins in the food we eat are suspected to contribute to a number of problems and ailments, including cancer. Also, theorist believe hormones and preservatives prevent our bodies from functioning they way the are suppose to.)
- Increased Energy ( Vegetables are a great source of vitamins and minerals that keep you energized.)
- Lower Blood Pressure and improved digestion.
My friend, Christa first became Vegetarian and later, a Vegan. "I love being a Vegan. Consuming more vegetables, fruit, beans and whole grain has made a wonderful impact on my body and how I feel. I am lighter on my feet and not so weighed down after a meal. I have not had any health concerns at all in the past nine years nor a doctor tell me that I am missing anything. I listen very closely to my body and pay attention to its signals, which I recommend for everybody." Christa will be sharing more of her personal journey and a vegan recipe in next Mondays, Weight a Minute Monday! So check in next week!
Content of this post does not necessarily reflect the views of Spicy Wifey LLC. Spicy Wifey LLC does not guarantee that content is accurate or factual. Please read responsibly.